Marketing personas are a crucial component of successful inbound marketing
Today’s marketing environment is increasingly crowded, noisy, and commoditised. Marketing personas are a crucial component of successful inbound marketing, particularly for the sales and marketing departments – the marketing team needs to know to who they are marketing to, and the sales team needs to know to whom they are selling.
What is a persona?
A persona is a research-based profile that depicts a target customer. Buyer personas describe who your ideal customers are, what their days are like, the challenges they face and how they make decisions. Personas help ensure that all activities involved in acquiring and serving your customers are tailored to the targeted buyer’s needs.
Marketing personas will help you better understand your prospects and customers.
- You’ll get to know your customers better. You can’t market a product to someone unless you understand their desires, their habits, their pain points and other things that influence their purchase decisions.
- You can segment your marketing.
- You’ll be able to develop new products more effectively.
How can personas be used?
- Product development can use buyer personas when building product roadmaps. Personas will help them identify changes to your offering based on what your customers need the most.
- Marketing can use buyer personas to build effective strategies. When creating content marketing strategies, for instance, personas are critical. They help to focus on keyword research efforts and are used as a reference when crafting copy.
- Buyer personas can also help your sales team build rapport with potential customers. By understanding what the prospect is dealing with and coming prepared to address their concerns, your sales team will be much more effective.
- And, finally, customer support teams can use personas to better serve customers. By being trained on the problems your customers are trying to solve with your product and the frustration it causes when things don’t work out, your support team will be able to show more empathy. A little compassion can go a long way when dealing with an irate customer.
Personas are research-based profiles that represent your target audience and can help you adapt key aspects of your sales and support for greater success. Clarifying the types of people who benefit from your solutions and the challenges you help them solve, is critical to your efforts to attract and retain customers.